Firstly let me apologise for the lack of a playlist last week. This was because the gods of misfortune had decided to remove my internet access. This coupled with the fact that the fingernail on my left little finger is on the brink of falling off due to a freak housework accident made me the grumpiest bloke in the town. All sorted now although the fingernail is still giving me cause to swear loudly at innocent passers by every time the whim takes me.
Back to business then and a pretty fine bunch of tunes for you this week. Please let me know your comments, I'm always interested as to whether you like any of the stuff which appears on here. This weeks featured album is the current offering from Japancakes on which the band have very courageously decided to re-record My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless" album in it's entierety. I'm toying with the idea of having a featured unsigned band instead of album starting maybe early next year so if you want your band featured then please get in touch.
The end of the year is almost upon us and in a couple of weeks time I'm going to put a playlist together consisting of some of the finest musical moments from 2007. I have to say it's been a particularly good year for music and the task of choosing a set of tracks is going to contain some very tough choices, which is where you come in. If you have any particular favorites which you would like to see in the playlist then please drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll try and include as many of your favorites as possible.
On with the show...
1. No Name On The Bullet - I Use My Gun For Money, And I Don’t Like To Work For Nothing (Self Released) Taken from the “Physician EP”. Good shit and no mistake.
2. Operator Please - Just a song about ping pong (Brille) I think this has probably been around for a couple of months but It’s new on me. Buy Here
3. Arthur & Yu - 1000 Words (Memphis Industries) Taken from the excellent debut album “In Camera”. Buy Here
4. Japancakes - Only Shallow (Darla) This is the first track from this weeks featured album. Many bands do cover versions but few actually cover an entier album. Japancakes are one of the few and My Bloody Valetines “Loveless” is their chosen quarry. The problem is that Loveless was something resembling perfection in the first place so any re-working would be quite futile. Japancakes then are clearly not the kind of folks to sherk a challenge and have covered every track on the album in order. To be quite honest I don’t think any of these versions match up to the originals but it is quite good to hear the tracks from a different perspective and I think you have to give Japancakes credit for even attempting such a project. Buy Here
5. The Fall - Fit & Working Again (Rough Trade) It seems like an age since we last heard The “mighty” Fall on Burning World. No particular reason for playing this track except that the possibility exists that there are people in this world who have never heard The Fall or at least not some of the older stuff, therefore it could be argued that by including this track I am doing a service to mankind by enriching lives according to the gospel of Mark E Smith. Apparently there will be a new Fall album in the not too distant future. I tremble at the thought!!!!! Buy Here
6. The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - Doing All The Things That Wouldn’t Make Your Parents Proud (Self Released) Buy Here
7. Loop - Arc-Lite (Beggars Banquet) Taken from the 1990 album “A Guilded Eternity”. Buy Here
8. Murder Mystery - Love Astronaut (Self Released) Taken from the album “Are You Ready For The Heartache Cause Here It Comes”. Buy Here
9. Lymbyc Systym - Love Your Abuser (Mush) Taken from the album “Love Your Abuser”. Buy Here
10. Maher Shalal Hash Baz - A Big Hug (K) Taken from the album “L’ Autre Cap”. Buy Here
11. Japancakes - To Here Knows When (Darla) Second track from this weeks featured album. In it’s original My Bloody Valentine form it was, and still is one of the most beautiful creations known to man. So what do you make of this? Buy Here
12. Gellers - Buscape (Compare Notes) Taken from the debut album “Gellers”.
13. Marco Mahler - Design In Quick Rotation (Marco Mahler) Buy Here
14. The Bell - Do You Know How To Feel (Badman Recording Co.) Another track from the excellent debut album “Make Some Quiet”. Buy Here
15. Sian - Spook (Defrag Sound Processing) This is Sian’s contribution to a 12″ he shares with Glitches which appears to be called “Splitters 01″. Well worth tracking down.
16. Heavy Winged - Varcolec 01 (Cut Hands)
17. Bola - Waknuts (Skam) Taken from the album “Kroungrine”. Buy Here
18. Japancakes - Soon (Darla) Last track from this weeks featured album. I don’t know about you but it makes me want to go and dig out the original again. To be fair it wouldn’t take much digging out as it is never far from my person. Buy Here
19. Dark Captain Light Captain - Mid-Session Interval (LOaF) This is actually the b side of the current single but is my prefered track. Buy Here
20. Growing - Swell (The Social Registry) This is the first track the on new ep by Growing. Recently signed to The Social Registry label is scheduled for release early next year.